Over the past few years I’ve mentioned consistently that money talks. Consumer demand can and does drive change. Supporting brands with practices that are in-line with your values is speaking with your wallet. If your consumer dollars could talk, what would they say about you?
If you could crush on a brand, prAna clothing is now a true love. A couple of years ago, I discovered prAna, a lifestyle clothing brand that believes in keeping their impact on the environment low and their impact on the world high.
This Spring I introduced the line to my husband when I purchased a few new items for his wardrobe. (Typically, I don’t shop for my husband, but he wanted break out of his mold of purchasing the same items over and over again, while I wanted him to give prAna clothing a try.) A guy who generally does not have an easy time finding clothes in styles that he likes that are comfortable and fit just right, he has become more impressed with prAna with each purchase.
And with the 15% off prAna clothing coupon code that I have available for readers for working with the brand, you can give it a try too!
This is the Amelie Dress in Charcoal Parade. Isn’t it adorable?
If you too want to crush on a clothing brand, and let your consumer dollars speak volumes, consider this:
15 Reasons to Love prAna Clothing
1. prAna is a full circle brand that has made it their mission to minimize their environmental impact while utilizing fair labor practices and giving back to communities around the world.
2. At prAna, they offer fashionable and comfortable designs made from sustainable, recycled, fair trade certified fabrics and materials. While stylish enough for work and play, prAna clothing is first and foremost mindfully made.
3. The items that my husband purchased can be worn for a work meeting, a day at the park or a Saturday night out. prAna clothing is versatile enough for different lifestyles and adventures. In fact, the designers create and test the clothing based on their own love for outdoor activities.
4. They help make a difference by teaming up with charities, from cleaning beaches to sending aid to areas affected by natural disasters. prAna also donates a portion of holiday season proceeds from select items to Outdoor Outreach, an organization that connects underserved youth with the outdoors.
5. They practice what they preach in the office too. They purchase renewable energy credits (RECs) to offset the energy used in the office, in,stores AND in all of their employees’ and ambassadors’ homes. They also have recycling bins in the office for glass, paper and plastics, as well as electronics, batteries, cell phones, Tyvek, and other soft plastics. They have even composting bins in their kitchens and warehouse.
6. They go out of our way to ensure the impact they make on the world is minimal by using materials and partnering with companies and factories that adhere to strict guidelines for safety and efficacy.
7. Most consumers don’t realize that conventionally grown cotton consumes about 25% of the insecticides and over 10% of the pesticides used in the world. That statistic alone should be reason to purchase only organic or recycled cotton. The cotton used to make prAna clothing contains no toxic pesticides or synthetic fertilizers, and no genetically engineered seeds.
8. prAna uses recycled wool that comes from old garments or the cuttings from new garments. After being sorted, cleaned, and reduced to fibers, it’s spun into yarn and knitted into new pieces.
9. Hemp fabric is drought resistant and doesn’t require chemical pesticides or fertilizers, so it’s safer for both farmers and the land that it’s grown on. Hemp is lightweight, breathable, and wears well over time.
10. prAna’s recycled polyester comes from post consumer plastic (PET) water and soda bottles, but it can also come from pre-consumer waste. Recycled polyester uses less energy, meaning that lower greenhouse gas emissions and water are required to manufacture it.
11. The brand recently began working with Responsible Down Standard to certify that all down used in their products has been manufactured without inhumane treatment of fowl.
12. prAna has partnered with bluesign® systems to ensure that the dyes and colors they use in their designs meet the highest environmental and human safety standards.
13. Fair Trade standards ensure that garment workers have safe working conditions, a voice in the workplace, higher earnings, and that women are treated equally. prAna is proud to be one of the first major clothing companies to offer Fair Trade Certified™ products. In February 2015, the Fair Labor Association accredited prAna’s social responsibility program, verifying that their efforts are aligned with a commitment to human rights.
14. They are committed to a polybag reduction initiative. From 2011 through 2016, prAna has eliminated 10.6 million+ polybags from landfills. Recently I purchased some spring clothes for my children from a well-known clothing brand. When the package was delivered, each piece was encased in plastic, and I could not get over the amount of waste that had been sent to just one customer. (I even emailed the CEO about it.) When I went to the store to return an item, I brought all of the plastic with me, and the store didn’t even have a recycling container for plastic. I ended up going elsewhere to have it recycled.
15. The one core belief at prAna is to give back more than they take from the world. Isn’t that a motto that everyone should live by?
So I ask once again. If your consumer dollars could talk, what would they say about you? Isn’t it worth making sure that they’d tell a story that you could be proud of?
Are you ready for that 15% off prAna clothing coupon code now? Use MSS17ES at checkout and give prAna a try. Head over to prana.com to start shopping right now!
Disclosure: Thank you to prAna for sponsoring this post, providing a coupon code for readers, and adding a couple more pieces to our sustainable wardrobe!
85 Acts of Kindness Ideas
10 Things You May Not Know About Fair Trade Goods
How to Make the Most of Your CSA Share
The Great Big List of Buy One, Give One Brands
Where to Donate Clothing and Accessories
15 Acts of Kindness for Pet Lovers & Animal Enthusiasts
How to Help Save the Bees Without Getting Stung
10 Reasons to Give Tweens & Teens Eco-Friendly Personal Hygiene Products