Runner safety has been in the news quite a bit lately, with the horrific attacks on two women while they were out running. Unfortunately, there are cowards out there who may see you running or walking alone and try to seize the opportunity to attack, so it is not a bad idea to consider runner safety tips and products that may be helpful to have at the ready.
There are potential tactics and products that help runners stay safe, or at the very least may be a solid deterrent. Yet it needs to be said that you should NOT NEED to carry these items. It is NOT YOUR FAULT if some coward tries to attack you, and the very fact that we even have to think about this topic IS NOT OKAY.
With that said, however, you may want to consider taking these five Items with you for your next run or hike. Not just for safety from attackers, but from other potential incidents as well:
5 Super Smart Products that Help Runners Stay Safe
1. The Runner Personal Alarm ($17.59) from SABRE helps athletes who sense danger call for attention. The 130 dB alarm is audible up to 1,000 feet away and sounds continuously when the user activates it. The adjustable, weatherproof wrist strap features a reflective logo for enhanced visibility. Batteries are included, and the device features a low battery test button.
2. Runner Pepper Gel ($12.99) also rom SABRE fits in the palm of your hand for protection on the go. It contains 35 bursts of spray at a range of up to 12 feet away. Because it is made from gel, it virtually eliminates airborne particles and wind blow-back, affecting only the person (or target) it contacts. Gel also has the advantage of reaching 20% farther than pepper spray.
3. This lightweight Reflective Vest ($12.00 to $16.85) includes two 3M safety reflective bands. It can help you stand out in the crowd and increase your visibility. The more you stand out, the less you may become an obvious target. The soft fabric is not restrictive, letting you move freely, breathe and sweat with ease.
4. I love the idea of wearing this stainless steel, waterproof, hypoallergenic Sport Fitness Safety ID Bracelet-Wristband ($23.95) in case of an emergency. It comes with FREE personalized engraving. Now you can have some peace of mind around your wrist at all times while on the move. It comes with matte finish 35mm plate and a durable double lock clasp. The personalized engraved plate holds up to 5 lines and 26 characters per line.
5. Heading into a dark area? Consider taking this High Visibility LED Runner Safety Light ($21.99). It’s a super bright flashlight lamp with a magnetic clip-on. It’s also waterproof and USB rechargeable.
5 Super Smart Runner Safety Tips:
In addition to products that may help with runner safety, consider these runner safety tips (if you haven’t already):
1. Vary your routes, but always know where you are headed. Try not to be too predictable in your workout times and routes, just in case someone is watching.
2. Experts say that it is great for your muscles to do more than one type of physical activity, consider supplementing your runs self defense workouts, such as Krav Maga. You’ll burn tons of calories, get a great workout, and learn an invaluable skill.
3. Let someone know where and when you are headed out for a run or hike, and what time they should expect you to return.
4. Make it even more fun by running or hiking with a friend. There’s safety in numbers and you can motivate one another too!
5. If you carry your phone with you on runs or hikes, load it up with safety features such as these 27 Apps Every Runner Should Know About as recommended by Runners World.
Now go for that run, and stay safe out there!
Disclosure: Thanks to SABRE for supplying me with the Runner Personal Alarm and Runner Pepper Gel to check out for myself. SABRE is a family owned and operated company that manufactures law enforcement grade pepper sprays. SABRE has trained 3,500 officers around the globe on the use of force and how to use pepper spray. SABRE’s Personal Safety Academy is available through certified instructors around the world. In addition, SABRE has donated more than $1.2 million dollars to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, with additional funds being raised for charitable organizations dealing with sexual assault, rape and abuse. Learn more at http://www.sabrered.com. There are affiliate links in this post.
10 Ways Healthy People Begin Their Day
How to Eliminate Toxins & Why You Should
Got 15 Minutes? Then Try the Metabolic Aftershock Workout
My Favorite Healthy (& Green) Subscription Boxes
The Massage Oil that Helped Me Walk 60 Miles in 3 Days
20 Ways to Boost Your Workout Performance
10 Marathon Training Tips from a Running Coach
The One Piece of Exercise Equipment You Need for Body & Mind Transformation
Do We Really Need Sports Drinks to Replenish Electrolytes in the Body?
My New Secret to Maintaining a Workout Regimen (Even When Life Gets in the Way)
The 5 Foods to Eat Before a Workout & After a Workout
Can a 1 Minute Workout Really Make an Impact?
Not a Polar Bear? 8 Reasons Why You Should Take Cold Showers Anyway
10 Foods that Reduce Post Workout Muscle Recovery Time
How Achieving pH Balance (and an Alkaline Body) Benefits Your Health