Several years ago in our household we began to focus on making our son’s body more alkaline. His immune system was a wreck, and we had began working with a practitioner who suggested that we begin by improving his gut health and achieving pH balance.
Today our is cured and as healthy as anyone can be, minus some recurrent seasonal allergies. We still focus on achieving pH balance on a regular basis because we’ve seen firsthand how having an alkaline body benefits his health. As I’ve said many times on this site and in person, I am still a believer in traditional medicine, though I my personal feeling is that it should be utilized when natural measures (and getting to the root of the cause) have been exhausted. Speaking of the roots, let’s begin the beginning.
What is pH?
pH is a measurement how acidic or alkaline substances are, and it applies to people too. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, and the midpoint pH of 7 is considered to be neutral. A pH level of less than 7 is acidic. A pH level greater than 7 is alkaline. Human life requires a tightly controlled pH level in the serum of about 7.4 to survive.
How do we achieve the right pH balance?
Unfortunately, most western diets today have a high dietary acid load and a low intake of essential dietary minerals such as potassium, magnesium and calcium. When we also factor in all of the pesticides, toxins, and other free radicals in the environment, our bodies are no longer prone to maintaining the right pH balance on their own. We can, however, help ourselves by eating a well-rounded diet that is organic and rich in fruits and vegetables. Clean drinking water is also paramount, as well as reducing acidic foods and drinks. Supplementing our diets with alkaline minerals can also help to neutralize acidosis in the body.
Why is it important to achieve the right pH balance?
In addition to the overall immune system, we began to look into pH balance for supporting seasonal allergies and asthma. We would’t have believed it at first, but what a difference achieving pH balance has made! However, before we go further, let’s get the FDA disclosure out of the way. The following statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. (Which is a discussion for a whole other blog post.) They do, however, want me to let you know that the following is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. It is solely meant to provide you with food for thought. You should always speak with a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle.
Now let’s get discuss how an alkaline body benefits all of us.
How Achieving pH Balance Benefits Your Health
1. Supports bone health and may reduce osteoporosis.
The potassium salts in fruit and vegetables play an important role in improving bone health by reducing the process by which bone is broken down. This means that excess acid is neutralized and bone mineral is preserved. Calcium is the other key component of bone health, yet it is estimated that the environmental factors and the acidic modern diet have led to massive losses of calcium in the urine.
2. Can reduce tumor aggressiveness.
Making the body more alkaline may be useful in enhancing some cancer treatments. An alkaline, low salt diet with ample fruits and vegetables minimizes pH gradient reversal thereby reducing tumor aggressiveness and therapeutic resistance. This knowledge may be helpful for assisting the more toxic therapies often used today to treat cancer.
3. May boost kidney function.
Alkaline body therapy is already used to treat chronic kidney disease patients, because neutralizing acidity in the body has been shown to preserve kidney function.
4. Could help to prevent and/or treat urinary tract infections.
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are no fun, and certain people just seem to be prone to them. It turns out that the acidity of your urine can influence how well bacteria can grow in your urinary tract. Urine that is less acidic, closer to the neutral pH level of pure water, is more likely to restrict bacterial growth than the more acidic urine. So keep your pee clean, ladies.
5. Can preserve your teeth.
Your morning coffee habit may be doing more than just staining your teeth. It may be wearing away their protective layer too. A pH level that is lower than 5.5 puts a person at risk for tooth erosion, which wears away the enamel of our teeth. So forget that sugarless gum nonsense. The higher your pH level (above 5.5), the lower your chances of developing cavities.
6. May reduce the likelihood of ulcers.
The highest acidity of pH in our bodies typically resides in our stomachs in order to aid in digestion and protect against microbial organisms. Yet the layer lining the outside of the stomach must remain basic in order to prevent mucosal injury. When that lining becomes too acidic it may lead to the formation of ulcers. A healthy diet and a balanced body will allow the stomach to do its job naturally.
7. Supports muscle mass.
Fitness buffs, beware. As we age, we experience a loss of muscle mass, which may predispose to falls and fractures. Alkaline diets that are rich in potassium, such as fruits and vegetables, and have a reduced acid load, can preserve muscle mass in adults.
8. Can help children grow to their full height potential.
Severe forms of metabolic acidosis in children are associated with low levels of growth hormone, resulting in children of shorter stature. Correcting this with diet, a bicarbonate and/or potassium citrate supplement has shown to increase growth hormone significantly. It has also shown to result in a reduction of urinary calcium loss, and we all know that calcium is essential to a growing body.
9. May alleviate back pain.
I bet that one surprised you! There’s some evidence that chronic low back pain can be improved with the supplementation of alkaline minerals such as magnesium, which activates vitamin D and helps our enzymes to function properly. When everything functions properly, common inflammation like back pain can subside.
10. Could lessen panic attacks.
An increase or decrease in our brain’s acidity can disrupt normal brain function. Some synapses in the brain stimulate neurons when they detect a rise in acid. One study found that when the pH level in the brain becomes too acidic, the proteins stimulate the neurons that regulate fear, initiating behavioral responses that may lead to increased anxiety and panic attacks. Further research also noted that a “hypersensitivity to acid in the brain appears to be part of the inherited vulnerability to panic attacks.”
In addition to diet, what else can help with achieving pH balance?
In addition to eating a healthy diet that is rich in organic fruits and vegetables, and reduces intake of acidic foods and drinks, here are a few items that may help to get your pH balance kick-started:
10 Items that May Help Make Your Body More Alkaline
- Alka Seltzer Gold is used daily in our home. In addition to supporting relief for my son’s seasonal allergy needs, it is meant to provide relief of acid indigestion, upset stomach and heartburn. It’s safe for sensitive stomachs and it does not contain aspirin.
- The Alkaline Water Pitcher is an easy way to get alkaline water on demand. It is BPA-free and removes chlorine, odors, heavy metals and 90% of copper, lead and pollutants from the water at your home or office.
- Amazing Grass Green Food Blend includes organic, non-GMO wheat grass, barley grass, alfalfa, spirulina, spinach, and broccoli, plus a combination of herbs, spices, fruit and vegetables to help restore your pH balance and rid your body of toxins.
- AlkaZone Alkaline Booster Drops neutralizes acidity, helping the body to rid itself naturally of acidic waste products while protecting cells against the effects of free radicals.
- pH REVIVE Alkaline Water Bottle is a BPA-free water purifier bottle and ionizer filtration system that removes heavy metals, fluoride & bacteria from your water.
- Put a Water Ionizer Alkaline Water Stick in your jug or glass for few minutes will increase the PH level from average 6 to 8+, alkalizing your water and reducing its acid content.
- Not sure about your pH level? Get some Ph Test Strips for results in about 15 seconds. These pH test strips for urine or saliva are ideal for people who need to check their levels frequently.
- AlkaMind Daily Greens Single Serve Packets includes 27 “superfoods” to alkalize, energize, and balance your body’s pH level. It is USDA and QAI organic certified, gluten-free, GMO-free, and vegan. It will take just a few seconds of your day to mix this up and drink it down!
- The Alkaline Diet book, by best-selling author James Green. He’s a lifestyle pioneer in the sphere of human health, personal development, and strategic living with a His mission is to educate, inspire and re-empower people to take control of their health and happiness through healthy eating, positive thinking and good lifestyle changes.
- This One Earth Health Alkaline Food and pH Chart is printed on a waterproof sheet.! It is a food combination chart to provide meal preparation guidance and a guide to maintain a pH balanced diet and keep your body alkaline.
Here’s to everyone achieving pH balance, because an alkaline body benefits all of us.
The Diet That Will Help You Live Longer & Healthier
Got 15 Minutes? Then Try the Metabolic Aftershock Workout
What Happens When Teen Girls Stop Using Conventional Personal Care Products
My Favorite Healthy (& Green) Subscription Boxes
Say Goodbye to Toxins With These Detox Juice Cleanse Tips
The Essential Oil Massage Oil that Helped Me Walk 60 Miles in 3 Days
20 Ways to Boost Your Workout Performance
What You Need to Know About Food Cravings & How to Stop Them for Good
My New Secret to Maintaining a Workout Regimen (Even When Life Gets in the Way)
How Salt Therapy can Detox the Body and Clear the Mind
What Researchers Just Discovered About the Effects of Sugar on the Body
12 Healthy, Shelf-Stable Items to Always Have in Your Pantry
Not a Polar Bear? 8 Reasons Why You Should Take Cold Showers Anyway
The 2016 Guide to Essential Oils Research
What is Activated Charcoal and Why Would I Need It?
How Practicing Meditation Can Improve Your Life
Foods that Affect Addiction Recovery & Substance Abuse
10 Foods that Reduce Post Workout Muscle Recovery Time