Most of us don’t think much about the air we breathe. Nor do we contemplate the air quality in our homes. But what if we could reduce allergens and stop sneezing and wheezing by improving our home air quality? What if we could improve seasonal allergies with clean air?
With a husband and two kids who have awful seasonal allergies, I try to reduce pollen and other allergens that could lurk inside our home. I do what I can to eliminate those irritating symptoms such as puffy eyes, wheezing, sneezing, and nose bleeding. Unfortunately, those darn allergens are everywhere.
Here are 12 easy ways to reduce allergens and improve our home air quality:
1. Keep shoes out of the house. It’s really kind of gross when you think about it. Dirt, allergens, toxins and pesticides from lawns – it all ends up on the bottoms of our shoes and then gets tracked into our homes. My husband, my kids and even their friends know that I try to request that no outside shoes should be in the house. But kids are kids, people sometimes forget, and there are times when it’s not politically correct to ask guests remove their shoes.
2. Shower before bed. Get those allergens off of you before you get into bed and sleep on them!
3. Wash outdoor clothes in hot water immediately after use. Get those pollen soaked items into the washing machine, ASAP! Don’t bring them into your bedroom or put them on the floor until the next day. (Do you hear me, kids??)
4. You can also regularly wash your bedding in hot water in order to reduce dust mites and pollens.
5. Encase your pillows, box springs, and mattresses with allergen-impermeable covers. You spend an average of 7-8 hours a day in your bed, so why not try to make it free of allergens? These covers can be quite helpful in keeping them at bay.
6. Regularly vacuum carpets and upholstered furniture. Dry steaming carpets and upholstered furniture is helpful for getting rid of dust mites and pollen too.
7. Get yourself a new houseplant. If you like plants in your home, get rid of that old fern and buy a houseplant that helps to improve air quality, such as the Peace Lily. It will add a little of nature’s beauty to your home.
8. Watch your pet, and wash your pet. Just like those nasty shoes, your four-legged friend can also come home from a walk with lots of unwanted visitors. Quickly wipe your pet’s paws upon entering the house and make sure your pet is getting regular baths.
9. Eliminate toxins and pesticides from your home and lawns. Switching to organic and GMO-free products will not eliminate dust mites in your home. However, doing so will reduce the strain on your body that may make it more sensitive to allergens such as mold, dust mites, pollen and dander. This change will also lower your exposure to hormone disruptors that mess with your body’s endocrine system. Reduce the use of chemicals in your cleaning supplies, detergents, personal care products, and lawn care products too.
10. Keep an eye on your diet and lifestyle. You can lower your exposure through maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle too. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables because they’re loaded with antioxidants, and keep an eye on your vitamin D intake. Lower levels of vitamin D are associated with reduced lung function. Also consider using products such as activated charcoal, which is known to help quickly rid the body of toxins.
11. Change your air filters. Try to keep all of that gunk and junk from floating through your home’s internal airways by changing your air filters regularly.
12. Get an Airwasher. (Yes, there is such a thing as an Airwasher, and it is awesome.). Venta Airwashers’ filterless humidifier and air purifier has patented technology that cleans your indoor air to reduce dust and mold. It uses the highly effective principle of cold evaporation, which prevents particles or aerosols from being released into room air. As air enters the machine, it collides with sheets of water. The air then passes through the Airwasher, leaving the potentially harmful elements behind and keeping your air cleaner while improving the air quality in your home.
We’ve been using an Airwasher in my home for several months now and my family is so impressed with the results! It’s quiet, easy to use, and gives me the peace of mind that whatever allergens we don’t suppress through other efforts are easily being washed away. Since we got our Airwasher, the sneezing and wheezing is down to a minimum. Seasonal allergies be gone!
Venta Airwasher’s benefits are proven to reduce the presence of small airborne particles in your home. In addition to boosting restorative sleep patterns, the Venta Airwasher has been proven to be effective in the treatment and avoidance of: asthma, common colds, sore throats, chest and nose congestion, nose bleeds, dry skin, chapped lips, allergies, and air pollution. Learn more at https://www.venta-airwasher.com/.
Indoor air quality is often overlooked, but if it is making us feel badly, shouldn’t we be concerned? With these easy tips, we can improve indoor air quality and reduce allergens so we don’t have to worry about the quality of the air in our homes.
How to Eliminate Toxins & Why You Should
Chemical vs. Natural Sunscreen: What You Need to Know
Toxin Free Makeup and Beauty Products
Got 15 Minutes? Then Try the Metabolic Aftershock Workout
25 Ways to Embrace a More Eco Friendly Home
Should You Make the Switch to Natural Lawn Care Products?
What Happens When Teen Girls Stop Using Conventional Personal Care Products
12 Reasons Why You Should Eat Spinach Regularly
My Favorite Healthy (& Green) Subscription Boxes
What You Need to Know about GMO’s
Say Goodbye to Toxins With These Detox Juice Cleanse Tips
Toxin Free Makeup and Beauty Products
30 Ways to Have a More Eco-Friendly Bathroom
Top Foods to Include in Juicing & Smoothie Recipes
12 Healthy, Shelf-Stable Items to Always Have in Your Pantry
Not a Polar Bear? 8 Reasons Why You Should Take Cold Showers Anyway
What is Activated Charcoal and Why Would I Need It?
Disclosure: I was given a Venta Airwasher to experience and use in my home for writing this post. Venta uses 100% wind energy for producing their Airwashers, and all Venta Airwashers are 100% recyclable.