It’s about that time of year when we can fire up the grill on a regular basis here in the Northeast. Even for those lucky folks living in agreeable weather year round, there are ways to healthy grilling that are important to know. Healthy grilling is not only about the ingredients in our meals and sides, it is also about the way we shop, prepare, and cook our food.
Let’s start with tips for grilling healthier:
10 Healthy Grilling Tips
1. Go grass fed, organic, preservative-free and nitrate-free when shopping for your meats.
2. Vary your meat so you aren’t only eating red meat. Diets high in meat may lead to an increased risk of developing kidney cancer. Researchers also discovered that some people are more susceptible to the harmful compounds created when that red meat is cooked at high temperatures.
3. Get rid of the skin on the chicken and turkey if possible.
4. On the other hand, keep the skin on your grilled vegetables and fruits, as they provide fiber and additional nutrients.
5. If you absolutely must keep hamburgers and hot dogs on the menu, select nitrate and preservative-free meats, particularly in hot dogs where they tend to be especially prevalent. Also, make the hamburgers yourself if you can’t find pre-made alternatives that are free from additives. (See the recipes below.)
6. Marinade and season your food with herbs and spices. In addition to making food tastier, herbs are an abundant source of antioxidants and have potential anticancer benefits. Rosemary especially has benefits as a cancer prevention agent, breaking up the compounds that can form when meat is cooked.
7. Cook your meats to avoid exposure to cancer-causing substances. Keep the grill below 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190.5 degrees Celsius). Do not char or burn meat, as doing so increases the risk if cancers.
8. Lightly oil the grill with extra virgin olive oil to keep food from sticking.
9. Lose the heavy-duty traditional pasta, slaw and potato salads. If they are an absolute must on your table, make them yourself using organic ingredients, replacing half the mayo with Greek yogurt, and using whole grain pasta.
10. Be very careful with those wire grill brushes. The number of hospitalizations due to accidental ingestion of wire grill brush bristles has increased dramatically.
So now that you know how to shop, prepare and grill in a healthier way, here are some recipes that you and your family can enjoy.
The recipes below were selected based on their ingredients and overall comparison to a more traditional barbecue meal. Shop consciously for ingredients using the tips mentioned above to get the most nutritional benefits from these healthy grilling recipes!
35 Healthy Grilling Recipes
Grilled Chicken & Pork:
Coriander Garlic Grilled Chicken + Green Goddess Sauce
Garlic Grilled Chicken With Persimmon Salsa
Grilled Chicken Marinade with Lemon and Garlic
Apple Juice Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Souvlaki Marinade Recipe
Grilled Wood Planked Chicken Legs
Grilled Sriracha Sesame Chicken Wings
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Smoky Salsa Verde
Grilled Salads, Vegetables & Fruits:
BBQ Beet Fries
Grilled Polenta with Fresh Mozzarella and Balsamic Tomatoes
Feta & Mint Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Layered Summer Veggie Appetizer
Grilled Butternut Squash & Peppers
Grilled Avocado Caprese Salad
Grilled Cabbage and Corn salad
Grilled Bok Choy
Grilled Green Beans with Garlic Scape Pesto and Parm
Grilled Zucchini with Feta
Grilled Corn and Peach Quesadillas
Charred Jersey Tomato Salad
So break out the barbecue, and enjoy your own favorite healthy grilling recipes using these important tips. Happy grilling!
12 Reasons Why You Should Eat Spinach Regularly
My Favorite Healthy (& Green) Subscription Boxes
What You Need to Know about GMO’s
10 Tips for Natural Thyroid Support
The Health Benefits of Turmeric and How to Get More in Your Diet
How Extra Virgin Olive Oil Affects Your Health
The Diet That Will Help You Live Longer & Healthier
7 Ways to Shop Organic on a Budget
Got 15 Minutes? Then Try the Metabolic Aftershock Workout
How Olive Oil Affects Your Health
Should You Make the Switch to Natural Lawn Care Products?
Is Grass Fed Dairy Better for You?
What Happens When Teen Girls Stop Using Conventional Personal Care Products