For families that want to go a little more green, who are looking to reduce their environmental impact, there are easy ways to create a more eco friendly home. In fact, not only will using these eco friendly products help the environment, they’ll help your wallet too! Many people don’t realize that an eco friendly home uses less energy and has the impact of saving significant money over time.
25 easy ways to embrace a more eco friendly home:
1. Did you know that those coffee pods people use every day are not biodegradable? Some cities are even starting to ban them because they have such a potentially harmful effect on the environment. Yet you can still enjoy your single-serve coffee maker without them! Just add ground coffee to an Eco-Fill single-serve filter and brew. You’ll help the environment and save money from the cost of pre-filled servings. It’s easy to use, rinse to clean, and dishwasher safe. We use this one which works for the original Keurig or Cuisinart brewers, and you can get this Eco-Fill for your Keurig 2.0.
2. Contrary to what you may hear on television, clean is not a smell. Clean is an effect. One of my favorite new green brands is Frosch, voted Germany’s Most Trusted Household Cleaning Brand for 15 years. Their effective products are made with plant-based renewable surfactants. Each bottle is made of 80% recycled material and is 100% recyclable.
3. Don’t forget the floors. Earth Friendly Products makes a Lemon-Sage Floor Cleaner that is made with only 100% sustainable, plant-based ingredients. They also carry a Bergamot and Sage Carpet Shampoo for use in hot and cold water extraction machines. Both products are clean effectively without releasing harmful chemicals into your home.
4. You can get your clothes clean using eco-friendly solutions too. Grab Green sells tons of eco-friendly supplies for your home. Their fantastic laundry products are naturally derived, non-toxic, and contain no phosphates, phthalates, chlorine, dyes or masking agents.
5. Since we’re talking laundry, let’s move on to dryer sheets. You can replace them with reusable wool dryer balls like these from i-Gruv. They are made to reduce the statics on your clothes, and can be used for 1,500+ cycles. They can even reduce your drying cycle by 25%.
6. Most toothbrushes are made almost entirely of rubber and plastic, neither of which are biodegradable. Each one could take hundreds of years to break down. Instead, choose toothbrushes like this one that use the least plastic possible. Earth’s Daughter bamboo toothbrushes are biodegradable, and made with BPA-Free soft nylon bristles. Even the packaging is plant based!
7. Not only should you recycle paper, you can also buy recycled paper. This one by Printworks is 100% recycled and made ere in the U.S.A. from recovered containers and other paper-based materials.
8. In my home we are guilty of throwing away too many paper towels, but haven’t found a great alternative until now. Bamboo towels are heavy-duty, machine washable, reusable rayon towels. Made from certified organic bamboo, a sustainable source, they are strong, absorbent and durable. They have the same look and feel as ordinary paper towels, even coming in a roll like the ones in your kitchen. 20 bamboo towel sheets can replace up to 6 months of paper towel rolls, helping to reduce waste and save money.
9. Ready to take out the trash? How about doing it with kitchen bags made from recycled and controlled-life plastic material. A single plastic bag can take up 500 years or more to degrade. We can change that by using an eco friendly plastic bag instead.
10. Don’t take out the dog without an eco-friendly waste bag. Bark Bag makes environmentally friendly dog poop bags from plant based materials. Even the packaging is made from recycled materials!
11. Kids love to drink with straws, but most of them are a waste of plastic. Stainless steel drinking straws are a safe, non-toxic, BPA free alternative to cheap disposable plastic straws. They won’t rust, corrode, stain or bend, and they are dishwasher safe.
12. Need to leave yourself a reminder? Post-it recycled super sticky notes lets you stick notes practically anywhere to make sure you get that much-needed reminder.
13. And you can write on that sticky note with a Pilot retractable ball point pen made from recycled bottles.
14. Before you head to the supermarket, grab an eco-friendly see through produce bag. Americans use and throw away 100 billion plastic bags every year, which requires 12 million barrels of oil per year to manufacture, according to The Wall Street Journal. These bags are washable, reusable, can go right from the market to your produce shelf.
15. Get rid of your plastic shower curtain. Instead, consider getting an mDesign shower curtain liner. It’s PVC FREE, chlorine-free, mold and mildew resistant, odorless, and will not hurt the eco-system after use.
16. Blow your hair with an XTAVA Verona Far Infrared Hair Dryer. Boost your blowout, diminish hair damage, and reduce energy usage with cutting-edge far infrared heat technology. Far infrared rays work with the performance of a 2000W hair dryer at an actual wattage of only 1200, a savings of 40%!
17. Install a smart thermostat. Ecobee3 makes a thermostat that intuitively understands when to turn your heating or cooling equipment on or off based on your home’s unique energy use and the weather outside. It is said to save homeowners an average of 23% annually.
18. Forget the days of washing your car in the driveway with your hose and a sponge. Chemical Guys EcoSmart Ready to Use Waterless Car Wash and Wax is a complete waterless detail for any vehicle. Made with carnauba wax and organic clay, it gives a thorough cleansing and sleek shine.
19. Install dimmable LED light bulbs. Philips sells Energy Star Certified LED light bulbs. With a life of 22+ years, their fully dimmable Philips LED bulbs contain no mercury and are perfect for replacing any household fixture.
20. Need a new water heater? Try a tankless one, such as the Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater. When sized properly it will provide endless hot water and only consume the energy needed, giving the user complete control.
21. Install your electronics into an energy-saving power strip. This Tripp Lite 8 Outlet Eco-Surge Protector Power Strip offers reliable, technology that protects your computer and peripherals, the environment and your wallet. It turns off energy-saving outlets when you turn off the device connected to the “Master” outlet, making it impossible for them to waste energy.
22. A low-flow showerhead can conserve up to half a gallon of water per minute without sacrificing an invigorating shower. The Waterpik ETC-443T Eco Flow Hand Held Shower Head features three high efficiency spray settings plus a water saving trickle mode that allows you to temporarily reduce flow to a trickle while lathering up or shaving.
23. Having company over? If you were going to use paper goods for entertaining, try switching to biodegradable products. Transitions to Earth makes biodegradable cutlery and plates. They are heat stable, durable, microwave safe and freezer safe. Go ahead, throw it away!
24. DefenderShield® technology blocks virtually 100% of the Electromagnetic Radiation (EMF) coming from laptops, tablets and cell phones. They offer laptop radiation and heat shields, cell phone radiation protection cases, tablet cases and more.
25. Did you know that most memory foam mattresses are made with substantial amounts of petroleum oil, chemical-laden fire retardants and bleach? The folks at Keetsa have set out to change the mattress industry, making eco-friendly pillow mattresses. They also offer FREE UPS Ground shipping to 48 States and Canada. Learn More at http://keetsa.com.
You see, it’s easy to go a little more green, reduce your environmental impact, and create a more eco friendly home. By seeking out eco friendly products, you can help your bottom line too!
There are affiliate links in this post. For more information, please see our affiliate disclosure.
My Favorite Healthy (& Green) Subscription Boxes
15 Acts of Kindness for Pet Lovers & Animal Enthusiasts
The Great Big List of Buy One, Give One Brands
How Salt Therapy can Detox the Body and Clear the Mind
How to Eliminate Toxins & Why You Should
The Toll of Stress & Why We All Need a Little More Zen
The Best Essential Oils for Meditation and Yoga
85 Acts of Kindness Ideas
50+ Ways to Protect Yourself & Your Identity
How to Make a DIY Essential Oil Perfume
Get Toxin Free Makeup and Beauty Products with Beautycounter
Learn How to Prevent a Dryer Fire in Your Home
16 Places to Donate Clothing and Accessories
How to Save Energy in the Kitchen
How to Make an Essential Oil Air Freshener Spray