Spring is one of my favorite times of year. Not just because it is finally getting warmer, and because that warm weather means that I can get outside and take long walks once again. Sometimes I walk on my own, sometimes with a friend or two in the neighborhood. Getting out for a long walk outside is one of the most gratifying activities I can do for myself. It allows me to breathe feely, to soak up the sun, to do some of my best thinking, and to get exercise at the same time. Actually, studies even show that people have more creative thoughts when they are walking than when they are sitting.
It is not always easy to get out for an hour to take a long walk outside, especially when life gets busy or the weather does not cooperate. With the growing popularity of the 10,000 steps a day mantra, we still need to find ways to get those steps done.
Omron has just released its new Alvita Wireless Activity Tracker (HJ-327T), a petite, powerful and affordable activity tracker. I just started using one. You can clip it pretty much anywhere on your clothing, and it will even work when in your purse or backpack. I love how comfortably it sits on my socks and prefer to wear it near my ankle.
With its release, Omron is encouraging users to focus on a walk out. In other words, walk out to get in those 10,000+ steps.
1. Walk out the door and take a quick walk around the block. You may not have an hour, but you do have a few minutes that don’t need to be wasted sitting down.
2. Don’t take the elevator. Walk out to the stairs instead.
3. Park in the farthest parking spot, and walk a little bit farther to your destination.
4. Walk in place while doing items around the house, such as while waiting for water to boil or the clothes to dry.
5. Consider a walking workstation. A new study shows that walking workstations can improve not only physical, but also mental health. Can’t have a walking workstation? Then stand while you are working and simply take some steps back and forth either in place or around your office.
6. Walk in place while your favorite shows are on television.
7. Leave a few minutes earlier and walk instead of taking the bus or train, or get off one stop away from your destination and walk the rest of the way.
8. Walk around while your kids are at their afterschool activities. Walk laps around the baseball field, or walk in a loop around the parking lot.
Just walk! The more you do it, the more you will find ways to walk out.
The Omron Alvita Wireless Activity Tracker allows you to transfer your fitness data wirelessly to your smartphone with their Omron Fitness App. Featuring Bluetooth® Smart technology, it records regular steps, aerobic steps, distance and calories burned so you can set realistic goals and check progress along the way. The tracker costs just $60, which is a great price point for those who don’t want to spend a ton of money on a fitness tracker.
How many steps will you walk today?
This post is sponsored by Omron but all thoughts and opinions expressed her are purely my own. Additionally, I was provided with an Omron tracker to monitor my own walk out steps.