You know that old story. Everybody says that something should be done. They say that someone should do something about this social issue or that injustice. And then those same people go on with their daily lives, saying it over and over again.
Then there are people who do not wait for others to take a stand. They do not talk about action. They take action. They are the people who make a difference, going above and beyond the talk. They are the unsung heroes.
These difference makers do not act because they are looking for kudos or standing ovations. They act because they can. If you know a hometown hero, someone who has inspired you by taking selfless action and helping others, nominate that person to be a 2013 CNN Hero.
Each year CNN honors selected nominees at a live tribute show and last year Subaru matched contributions of $50,000 to the Top 10 CNN Heroes.
Nominations for 2013 CNN Heroes are being accepted now through August 31, 2013 at http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/nom/. On the nomination form you can describe your nominee and the contribution that he or she is making in the community. Write in detail about what makes your nominee an inspiration to you, what makes that person your unsung hero. Describe the way in which your nominee is shaping the lives of others and what propels that person to continue paying it forward. You can read the stories of the 2012 CNN Heroes here.
Here are some simple rules regarding nominating an unsung hero for the 2013 CNN Heroes awards:
– Nominations must be in the name of a single individual, 13 years of age or older, whose accomplishment occurred (or continued) after September 1, 2012.
– Groups and organizations are ineligible for consideration.
– Self-nominations will not be accepted.
– Citizens of voided countries are ineligible.
– An e-mail address or telephone number of the nominee is required.
– Nominations must be submitted online through this link: http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/nom/
Do you know somebody who does not wait for anybody, who has taken action and done something about a social issue or an injustice? If so, why not do your part and nominate your hometown hero for a 2013 CNN Heroes award?