If you have a babysitter or nanny you may be wondering what to give for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or whichever holiday you celebrate. Perhaps you are not sure whether to give money or a gift? Perhaps you are not sure whether that gift you have been eyeing is appropriate for your sitter or nanny?
Recently, UrbanSitter did a survey asking parents to answer questions such as, “how much should I give my nanny for Christmas?” or “what should I give my babysitter for the holidays?” Just so you can make sure you are in the ballpark, here are some of the results from the UrbanSitter 2012 Holiday Gifting Survey:
What to Give the Nanny for Year End Bonus:
– The most popular holiday gift for nannies is a Christmas bonus of one week’s pay.
-97% of parents surveyed give their nanny a Christmas bonus or gift.
– Popular nanny gifts and babysitter gifts include: gift cards to a favorite retailer or restaurant, spa items or as gift card for spa services, scarves, other handmade items, a framed photo of the kids, candles, gourmet foods such as baked goods or chocolates and fine teas.
What to Get Babysitters for Christmas:
– 3 out of 4 parents surveyed give their babysitter gifts or a year-end bonus for Christmas.
– Of the parents who give cash, 17% give less than $25, 39% give $25-75, and 44% give over $75.
– If you live in San Francisco, be prepared to give a bit more, as the average parent gives over $75 to the babysitter for Christmas.
-New Yorkers are likely to give the babysitter a year-end bonus of over $100!