After a fall that flew by in a heartbeat, so many of us already feel like we are playing catch-up and the idea of the next six weeks creates major anxiety. We still need to finish up end of year work, shop for presents, send out holiday cards, buy more presents, decorate our homes, wrap the presents, ship the presents, plan for the week that the kids are off from school, bake/cook and making sure we remember everything that needs to get done.
While the holiday season brings lots of joy, it brings craziness as well. Don’t forget that you deserve to take a much-needed break and deserve time to recharge for the year ahead. Here are ten ways to feel better, recharge and get energized this holiday season:
1. Reflect. Whether you meditate, do a free thinking exercise or a writing exercise, take some time to reflect on where you are now and where you want to go moving forward. You do not need to make a new year’s resolution to be focused on your goals.
2. Relax. While a spa would be wonderful, you certainly do not have to head to the spa to get that chilled out feeling. Take a long hot bath, put on a facial mask and body scrub or give yourself a shiny new pedicure. Lock the bathroom door, dim the lights, light a few candles and put on some light relaxing music to make the most of your personal home spa.
3. Organize. Perhaps it is your own personal schedule, your family’s schedule, finances, family photos or your kids art projects that need to be put somewhere, it is always refreshing to feel organized as you finish one year and start the next.
4. Get lost. Read a book. Watch a movie. See a play. Enjoy a holiday classic. There are many forms of escapism and they help (at least temporarily) escape from holiday season stress and let us enjoy a world that is different from our own.
5. Get out. Take your girlfriends or significant other and enjoy some time out on the town. Sometimes holiday parties can be stressful but you can still get out, recharge and have a great time. The holidays are way more fun when you get out and enjoy them.
6. Shop. The thrill of the hunt can be extremely satisfying for those who get a buzz from saving money. While this might not be the time of year for a relaxing afternoon strolling through the mall, you might just find something you need (or really, really want) at a terrific price. How energizing is that??
7. Move. We all know that exercise boosts our endorphins and serotonin levels, but sometimes it is hard to be motivated when we are super busy and there are so many delicious treats around to enjoy. Whether it is an extra lap around the mall or a spin class at the gym, exercise will make you feel better and more energized.
8. Nourish. Not just your mind but your body too. Eat healthy meals and watch your portions so you can indulge a bit during the holiday season festivities. Have a plan for getting through holiday dinners and parties so you do not overdo it too much – or at least not more than once! It is hard to start off the new year having to work off what you ate over the holiday season, so enjoy but set limits.
9. Play. From board games to ping pong to basketball, sometimes play time can be a great bonding experience and an escape from the stress of the holiday season. A little competition can be just what you need to recharge.
10. Create. Creativity is one of the most productive ways to relieve stress and feel better. Make some gifts. Try a new recipe. Take photographs. Play the piano. Paint a picture. Write a short story. There are so many ways to get that creative release as long as you give yourself the time to get creative.
11. Give back. What can make you feel better than giving to others at the holidays (or on a birthday)? Take some time during the season to think of those whose spirits you can lift up at this time of year.
12. Cuddle. The holidays are the perfect time to make some treats and chill out on the sofa with your family. Use these days to create memories that will last until next holiday season.
How are you going to recharge during this holiday season?