Lately I have become engrossed in the land of entrepreneurship both in my work and in speaking to entrepreneurial pals who are business owners. It seems today that everyone wants to be their own boss, either as their primary source of income or by starting a side business. If you might be wondering whether entrepreneurship is right for you, here are 10 ways to know that it is time to start your own business:
1. You are growing frustrated that your time, effort and success at work are making easy money for someone else.
2. When you talk about your business ideas you begin to feel a sense of boundless energy.
3. You know that your manager does bring as much to the table as you do in terms of leadership roles, or contributions to the organization.
4. You crave something more, something else, something creative or something that is just your own.
5. You want autonomous control over your schedule and in calling the shots. Following someone’s rules at work has gotten really old.
6. You are eager to reenter the workforce after having children yet a 9-5 office job with a commute each way sounds like sheer hell.
7. You scour the Internet for new business ideas or ways to pursue an idea that you’ve had the back of your in mind.
8. The concept of entrepreneurship is beginning to sound less like a risk and more like the most exciting thing you have heard in a while.
9. In researching a potential business ideas, plans and strategies, you begin to recognize how much work starting your own business actually entails. Yet you are ready, even invigorated to take on that challenge.
10. Pursuing your business ideas or starting your own business feels like the next step for you, plain and simple. You are inspired, energized and eager to knock down any potential obstacles in your path to entrepreneurship.
So now that you have read the list, is it time for you to start your own business? If you already own your own business, what advice do you have for someone who thinks it’s time?