Yesterday, Vera at Lady and the Blog wrote a great post with 10 Ways to Ruin a Marriage and this morning Melissa posted at Lifetime Moms 15 Signs It’s Time to Break Up with a Toxic Friend. Both posts triggered the memory of a toxic friendship that ended not long ago. So I started thinking about how friendships get ruined. In case you were wondering, here are 12 ways to ruin a friendship:
- Take. Take. Take. Then take some more.
- Be there for your friend in good times, but never when she needs your support.
- Be there for your friend when she’s down, but don’t be happy for her when she has something to celebrate.
- Talk about her behind her back. Friends just love that. Go ahead and stir that pot.
- Take something from her, such as: her husband, her clothing/jewelry or her nanny. Betraying her trust is awesome.
- When you are upset with her, do not tell her why. Don’t talk about your feelings. Just give her the cold shoulder.
- Better yet, when you are upset with her, rather than talking it out and explaining how you feel, berate her for being a horrible friend. After all, you surely couldn’t have played a role in this.
- Always wait for her to call or text you. Don’t initiate contact.
- Criticize her parenting skills. Do it in a sarcastic way that is as condescending as possible.
- Be sure to make your conversations all about you.
- Spend time with your mutual friend(s) and don’t invite her. That should make her feel wonderful.
- When you are going through a rough patch, instead of letting her lift you up, bring her right down there with you. Then, keep doing it over and over again until you have successfully crushed her spirit.
And there you have it, 12 ways to ruin a friendship. Do you have any other ways to ruin a friendship you would like to add? If so, leave a comment below!