We live on this planet with a thin layer that allows warmth of the sun that can come through in a way that gives us life. Climate is the system that holds the weather. There has been an enormous shift in our climate over the centuries, but changes are happening at a more dramatic pace now. Climate change is now not only impacting systems, but it is also impacting individual weather events. We have seen that all too often lately from Hurricane Sandy to the recent flooding in Colorado. And that is just here in the United States.
We can alter for our children and their children if only we would stop dumping 90 million tons of carbon pollution into the atmosphere each year.
The collective action of individuals has a huge impact. How we choose to live, what we choose to buy and how we speak to others about those decisions will get us on the right track. Only when we support brands and legislators who make the environment a priority will change take place. To learn which companies are supporting environmental causes and tactics, visit 1% For The Planet.
The Climate Reality Project, founded and chaired by former Vice President and Nobel Laureate Al Gore, is dedicated to unleashing a global cultural movement demanding action on the climate crisis.
October 22nd is the Climate Reality Project’s 24 Hours of Reality global initiative will be the world’s largest ever conversation on carbon pollution. You do not want to miss it.
Beyond supporting brands that truly and effectively care about the environment, here are some other ways you can get involved:
- Reduce your carbon footprint. Discover how you personally may be contributing to this climate change at http://www.thecostofcarbon.org/. The results may shock you.
- Learn more about the cost of carbon. 24 Hours of Reality: The Cost of Carbon is The Climate Reality Project’s third annual broadcast of the award-winning 24 Hours of Reality Event and will create the world’s largest conversation about the cost of carbon pollution. The global, live-streamed multi-media event will broadcast live from Los Angeles beginning at 11 a.m. PDT on October 22nd through October 23rd. To see the hourly schedule, click here.
- Participate in the 24 Hours of Reality. Join us for a Twitter party at 2:00 pm EST with Al Gore, who will be on hand to bring attention to the cause. Spread the word and follow along using the hashtags #ClimateReality and #CostofCarbon.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle. Reduce what you purchase, what you use and what you waste. Reuse what you can. Recycle when you can.
- Get involved. In addition to the Climate Reality Project you can support environmental advocacy groups such as the Sierra Club, the National Wildlife Federation, the Natural Resources Defense Council, or the World Wildlife Fund.
I don’t know about you, but I want my kids and my grandkids to live in where they do not have to live in fear of the weather. Despite overwhelming international scientific consensus on climate change, the global community still lacks the resolve to implement meaningful solutions. Let’s do something about it.